Canterbury School offers a wide variety of bus routes to help our families with transportation to and from school. If you would like to "test" the service for a few days to see if it is right for your family, please sign up here.
The capacity of our large buses is approximately 50 passengers, and our smaller vehicles accommodate nine to 14 passengers. They're filled on a "first come, first served" basis, regardless of previous ridership. Students riding full time will be a priority. However, if space permits, your child may be able to ride only in the morning or only in the afternoon.
A new form is required each year, and all families who register will be contacted in August by the bus driver before school begins to provide specific bus stops and times.
Please contact Jennie Crandal at 260-417-4582 to register.
Please note: Bus service registration does not require payment at this time. This allows families to "test" the service to see whether it will work. Bus service will begin the afternoon of Aug. 22, 2019; there will be no morning service on this date.
General questions about Bus Service or Bus Service Billing should be emailed to Jerry Belcher. Once routes have been established and students are assigned to bus drivers, you will direct route, pick up/drop off questions to your bus driver.
That recognizable yellow school bus just might be your child’s ticket to the safest ride to and from Canterbury School. Yellow school buses are a great American success story. Reports show that they are the safest vehicles on the highway, and national studies indicate they're about 2,000 times safer than the family car.
They benefit our school and community.
- Increased bus ridership decreases the number of cars on our roads.
- There's no waiting in car pool lines.
- Decreased traffic congestion, idling time, and smog-forming emissions are reduced, protecting the environment.
- Poor air quality hurts children to a greater extent than many other populations.
Tips for safely riding the bus:
- Stay out of the danger zone: So that the driver can see you, always stand at least five giant steps (10 feet) away from the bus and never cross behind it.
- Never try to pick up anything that falls under the bus – always tell the driver.
- Stay a safe distance from the road while waiting for the bus.
- When you get on or off the bus, make sure the bus safety lights are flashing.
- Be alert to traffic. When getting on of off the bus, look left, right then left again before crossing the street.
- Wait for the driver to say if is safe to cross the street, and always cross in front of the bus.
- Stay in your seat and talk quietly, so the driver is not distracted.
Previous bus routes with common stops are listed below. Some routes may be discontinued if there are not enough bus riders. We greatly appreciate everyone’s patience and cooperation as we coordinate our upcoming school year bus routes.
- Dupont Hospital
- Dupont Library
- Harris Road
- Wallen Baptist Church
- Washington Shopping Center
This route is full.
- Bittersweet Lakes
- Chestnut Hills Parkway
- Hamilton Meadows
This route is full.
- Hamlets in Aboite
- Huntington Plaza
- Roanoke Professional Center
Both AM and PM Routes
- 1 child - $820
- 2 or more children - $1,300*
Either AM or PM Route
- 1 child - $560
- 2 or more children - $890*
Ride PassA 20-ride pass is available for $80, to be used as space permits on the bus.
*The Family Plan rate covers two or more children from the same family. All students/families wishing to ride the bus