Welcome to the 2020-21 School Year
By David Jackson, Head of School
August 24, 2020
As we prepare for the start of school on Wednesday, I wanted to apprise you as to some of the steps we have taken to keep our community safe, and also issue some general updates:
- Please be sure to sign the Covid-19 Safety Pledge. It is important that every member of our community agrees to adhere to these guidelines in order to ensure the safety and health of all Cavaliers. Please also note that students will not be permitted to arrive at school on Wednesday without their family having signed the pledge.
- Canterbury will require masks that are 2 ply or greater with no vents or apertures and will not permit the use of "gaiters." Research has shown that they are not as effective. Please reach out to us if you have questions about specific masks.
- Over the past two months, Canterbury has taken a number of steps to safely open campus, including:
- Upgrading the HVAC systems on both campuses
- Purchasing portable HEPA filters for each classroom
- Procuring plexiglass throughout both campuses
- Removing several walls in order to ensure that desks can be separated by 6ft
- Renting four tents for outdoor classroom space (two on each campus)
- Ordering portable hand-sanitizer dispensers for use on both campuses
- Developing a pledge that binds our community to take actions to mitigate the spread of the virus
- Partnering with AVI to restructure our lunch service
- Hiring additional staff to provide for our remote learners and for the challenges of COVID-19
- Creating a classroom environment whereby teachers can live stream lessons for remote learners
We are tremendously excited to open our campus on Wednesday and to welcome the students back to school. Our teachers have worked assiduously to prepare lessons for both in-person and remote learners, and I am so thankful for their dedication and professionalism. I would also like to thank our Leadership Team, along with our custodial and maintenance staff for their dedication to the task at hand. Preparing for this school year has been a herculean effort, but one that I know will make us all proud of Canterbury. I wish you and your family all the best as we endeavor upon this journey together.
Head of School