The future of Canterbury Early Childhood and Lower School
Division directors Dr. Elly Maconochie and Mr. Mike Landgraf share their educational goals for Early Childhood and Lower School. Your unwavering support makes these goals a reality as we continue to provide an exceptional education for every Cavalier.
Early Childhood are foundational years in a student’s development. We want our littlest Cavaliers engaged with hands-on activities and real life applications, free to explore, play, and move, and to know that they are known and cared for every day. That is why we were so excited to start our Outdoor Education program last year and to continue to grow its curriculum, and why we invest in our teacher’s professional development so we are providing them with the tools to continue to nurture every student’s growth.
- Dr. Elly Maconochie, Early Childhood Director
In the Lower School we focus on educating the whole child. We are setting the foundation for our students to be curious and thoughtful learners, kind friends, bold explorers, and caring citizens who think of the greater good. We believe in providing an educational environment that fosters joy, care, and hope every day. That is what drives us each year to look for new ways to support our teacher’s professional learning, use our spaces to maximize learning potential, and innovate our programs.
- Mike Landgraf, Lower School Director
Canterbury Early Childhood and Lower School goals:
- Development of EC classrooms with interactive, hands-on learning centers.
- Grow REDGen partnership and invite speakers to bring awareness, advocacy, and support around mental health and building resilience.
- Mental health and wellness support for faculty.
- Development of facilities to expand outdoor education spaces in the EC and LS. Examples include:
- Shed with water buttress
- Handwashing station
- Community gardens
- Safety enhancements
- Continued outdoor education and phonological awareness professional development for faculty.
- Create robust and intentional civic engagement and service learning program.
When you give to the Canterbury Fund, you impact our students, faculty, and programs and help Canterbury soar into tomorrow! Your support helps us build and expand innovative and engaging programs, enhance our students’ learning environment, prioritize student and faculty wellbeing, and provide faculty professional development. A gift of any size makes a difference. Make a gift today!