The Academy of the Arts
The Academy of the Arts at Canterbury School is a unique, student-driven program that provides an intensive arts experience within an exceptional academic environment.
Designed for the student with an unrelenting passion for excellence in the arts, this audition-based program will expand the creative abilities of its members and help to prepare them for auditions and applications to collegiate programs of their interest. Ample opportunities for student leadership, performances/exhibits, collaboration, and innovation will enable our students to graduate with the confidence to excel in their continued studies. The Academy is welcoming to those who have already identified themselves as artists as well as those who wish to find their own voice and express it with confidence.
- Auditions are conducted each spring for Grades 8-11
- Students new to Canterbury may audition in the fall of their arrival
- Auditions, portfolio reviews, and interviews will be reviewed by the high school Fine Arts faculty
- Criteria for admittance will include artistic ability, maturity, plus the ability to collaborate and receive feedback from teachers and peers
- The number of artists accepted each year will be determined by the Fine Arts faculty
- Students admitted to the program are not required to audition in subsequent years and will remain members of the academy provided that requirements are met
- If a student auditions and is not admitted to the program, they are encouraged to audition again the following year
If you missed the audition sign-ups and would still like to audition, please contact Ranae Butler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are a number of features which make The Academy of the Arts at Canterbury School dynamic, including the following:
- Public performances and exhibits
- Collaboration with peers, faculty, and college counseling
- Introduction to the arts as a business
- AP credits and GPA weighting for select upper-level courses
- Special commendation on the Canterbury diploma and recognition in the graduation program
- High level artistic experiences
- The ability to identify as an artist at an early age
- Real world lessons in time management, meeting deadlines, conflict resolution, and problem solving
- Developing the skills of creativity, innovation, and adaptability
- Preparation for college auditions/interviews
Fine Arts Department Chair