Malone Scholars Program
In May 2009, Canterbury School was selected by the Malone Family Foundation to receive a $2 million endowment for the funding of educational opportunities for academically talented and motivated students whose families demonstrate financial need.Canterbury is one of just 50 schools in the nation to be part of this prestigious program. The amount of the award varies, according to the financial need documented by the student’s family.
Founded by Dr. John C. Malone of Colorado, the Malone Family Foundation’s primary goal is to provide scholarship funding at the secondary level for students who are at the 95 percent or above of their classes, and who have the desire and drive to maximize their potential, but have limited financial resources to attend independent schools.
If your child does not qualify for Malone Scholar status, financial aid may still be available to help you afford a Canterbury School education. If you apply for the Malone Scholarship, you will automatically be considered for any aid available through the school’s financial aid program. All financial aid information is confidential.
This opportunity is extended to students not currently attending Canterbury School. To be a candidate for the Malone Scholars Program at Canterbury School, a student must:
- Be a United States citizen
- Be a rising 7th or 9th grader for the 2020-21 school year.
- Meet the admission requirements of Canterbury School
- Perform in the top 5 percent of students nationally, in his/her class
- Perform at the 95th percentile or higher on national standardized testing
- Seek a college preparatory education
- Show enthusiasm and motivation for maximizing his/her educational opportunities
- Have demonstrated financial need of at least 30 percent of school costs
- Seek admission to Canterbury School
If interested in applying for the Malone Scholars Program, please contact the appropriate Admissions Director (See below.) by email to express interest.
Upon review of the requirements for the program, individual students will be invited to complete the application during a visit to Canterbury School. In addition, the following items must be completed:
- A Gr. K - 12 application.
- The financial aid application.
- The entrance exam for Canterbury Middle or High School. Please click here to find admissions testing dates, or schedule a test date with the appropriate Admissions Director.
There is no fee for participating in the Malone Scholars Program.
Rising 7th graders interested in applying, please send an email to Krista Lohmar at email@example.com for more information.
Rising 9th graders interested in applying, please send an email to Tish Teel at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.