Enrichment and Extended Day Programs
Canterbury’s Enrichment and Extended Care Programs offer additional educational and social programs to complement a student’s school day schedule.
At Canterbury Lower School, our after-school Enrichment Programs are designed to cultivate independent thinkers, problem solvers, and collaborative learners. Each program is about seven weeks long, and new topics and special interests are introduced quarterly. In the past, student have explored:
- Ballin' With the Browns: Students have fun learning fundamental basketball drills and improving their dribbling, passing, shooting, defense and teamwork skills.
- Baton: Beginning baton twirlers can learn basic skills, while more advanced twirlers can learn new moves. Regardless of ability level, students can work in small groups to create their own routines.
- Chinese and Asian Crafts: Students will learn new Chinese words in each class, and they'll have fun exploring new activities like playing Chinese games, making Chinese crafts, practicing Origami and enjoying Chinese snacks.
- Fun With French: Madame Widmer will help students practice new words, play French games, learn songs and enjoy French snacks. Students will also complete fun projects and enjoy special French-inspired activities.
- Games Galore: An even better "recess", this program encourages students to play games like Soccer, Knock Out, Pickle Ball, Foursquare and much more, with a focus on teamwork, sportsmanship and fun.
- LEGO Club: Students can design, create, build and engineer jets, spaceships, tractors and sports cars using LEGOs to expand their imagination and play. Each student can take home their very own LEGO set on the last day.
- Private Piano Lessons: Piano instruction, especially in the early years of life, has been shown to improve academic performance, raise self-esteem, increase coordination and improve concentration. Plus, it’s fun! Each lesson is tailored to the individual student, based on age, skill level and interest.
- Yoga for Kids: This class helps students of all skill levels practice breathing techniques to calm, energize and balance the nervous system. Flow sequences, challenging poses and deep relaxation helps refresh students from the long school day.
We're committed to supporting parents, helping to balance work and family. That's why we offer Extended Day care for our Lower School students. The program offers supervised recreation and quiet study, as well as nutritious afternoon snacks. Grades 3 and 4 students participate in a 30-minute supervised, quiet homework session, as well. This service is available Monday through Thursday, from 3 to 6 p.m., and Fridays from 3 to 5:30 p.m., in the EDC room.
Registration for Lower School Enrichment programming is offered on a regular basis. Families must pay for programming upon registration via credit card or FACTS payment plan. Canterbury School faculty members can choose to pay via payroll deduction.
Online registration will be available starting Jan. 21 for Session 3 of the 2018-19 school year. Registration must be completed by Jan. 30.
Registration for Lower School Extended Day programming is offered annually. Families are billed for programming through the Business Office on a quarterly basis.