Enrichment and Extended Day Programs
Canterbury’s Enrichment and Extended Care Programs offer additional educational and social programs to complement a student’s school day schedule.
At Canterbury Lower School, our after-school Enrichment Programs are designed to cultivate independent thinkers, problem solvers, and collaborative learners. Each program is about seven weeks long, and new topics and special interests are introduced quarterly. In the past, student have explored:
- Ballin' With the Browns: Students have fun learning fundamental basketball drills and improving their dribbling, passing, shooting, defense and teamwork skills.
- Dance: From jazz and hip-hop to pom pom dance, instructor Tami Hollis will teach students dance basics while improving their talent. Students will showcase what they've learned in a recital at the conclusion of the term.
- Fun With French: Madame Widmer will help students practice new words, play French games, learn songs and enjoy French snacks. Students will also complete fun projects and enjoy special French-inspired activities.
- Games Galore: An even better "recess", this program encourages students to play games like Soccer, Knock Out, Pickle Ball, Foursquare and much more, with a focus on teamwork, sportsmanship and fun.
- LEGO Club: Students can design, create, build and engineer jets, spaceships, tractors and sports cars using LEGOs to expand their imagination and play. Each student can take home their very own LEGO set on the last day.
- Private Piano Lessons: Piano instruction, especially in the early years of life, has been shown to improve academic performance, raise self-esteem, increase coordination and improve concentration. Plus, it’s fun! Each lesson is tailored to the individual student, based on age, skill level and interest.
- Yoga for Kids: This class helps students of all skill levels practice breathing techniques to calm, energize and balance the nervous system. Flow sequences, challenging poses and deep relaxation helps refresh students from the long school day.
Registration for Lower School Enrichment opens August 28! Click here to register.
We're committed to supporting parents, helping to balance work and family.
That's why we offer the After-school Program for our Lower School students. The program offers supervised recreation and quiet study, as well as nutritious afternoon snacks. Grades 3 and 4 students participate in a 30-minute supervised, quiet homework session, as well. This service is available in the EDC room:
- Monday through Thursday, from 3 to 6 p.m.
- Friday, from 3 to 5:30 p.m.
The After-school Program is $8 per hour until closing time. A late-fee of $1 per minute past closing time will be charged. These monetary totals will be calculated on a monthly basis and turned into the Canterbury School Business Office.
After-school Program Expectations:
- Every participating student must sign in by 3:05 p.m. and must remain in the EDC until they have signed out.Parents must park and come into the building to sign their students out. Prior to 4:30 p.m. enter through Door 1. After 4:30 p.m. pick up is at Door 5.
- Students cannot leave the EDC without the permission of the program director.
- For students in grades 3 and 4, Homework Club is offered from 3:30 - 4 p.m. Students must bring homework or a book to read.
- Expectations for positive behavior must be met for participation in After-school Program.
- Time spent in After-school Program before an Enrichment class is at no cost. Billing begins if a child returns to program after Enrichment class is over.