Enrichment and Extended Day Programs
Canterbury’s Enrichment and Extended Day Programs offer additional educational and social opportunities to complement a student’s school day schedule.
At Canterbury School, our Enrichment Programs are founded on project-based learning principles, with the belief that children learn best through hands-on experiences. Curricularly, core lessons are designed around a specific subject, and academic skills and subject knowledge are integrated and expanded through those experiences, including:
- Art – Students explore art processes and express themselves and their learning through two and three dimensional creative works.
- Science – Using the scientific method of discovery, classes learn about the natural world through observation and experimentation.
- World Language & Culture – World language instruction and cultural exploration are naturally incorporated into Enrichment. Featured languages are French, Chinese and Russian.
Students also benefit from special classes within the Enrichment programs which are scheduled in certain quarters per year and are grade-level specific. These include:
- Chess (Junior Kindergarten, Kindergarten Prep) – Chess helps even the youngest students improve problem solving and basic chess skills through visuals and group play. Instruction includes creative, age-appropriate activities.
- Soccer (Junior Kindergarten) – Students learn foundational skills, as well as the meaning of teamwork and sportsmanship. A supportive environment encourages practice and play.
- Dance (Cavaliers, Junior Kindergarten) – Students learn basic Tap and Jazz dance steps and techniques, while developing balance and coordination.
- Gymnastics (Canterbury Kids, Cavaliers, Junior Kindergarten) – This non-competitive environment is designed to enhance each child’s self-esteem, balance and physical ability through musical warm-ups, developmental floor work, progressive tumbling skills and more.
Lunch Bunch is an excellent opportunity for students to enjoy lunch, self-directed play, and social time with friends.
We are committed to supporting parents, helping to balance work and family. That's why we offer Early Bird (before-school) Care, as well as Above and Beyond (after-school) Care for our Early Childhood students. These extended day programs focus on bringing out the best in every student – combining active games with structured and unstructured play, quiet time and creativity.
Registration for all Enrichment and Extended Day Programming is offered on a quarterly basis:
- Q1: Aug. 27 - Oct. 17
- Q2: Oct. 22 - Jan. 18
- Q3: Jan. 22 - March 21
- Q4: April 8 - June 4
Families must pay for programming upon registration via credit card or FACTS payment plan. Only ABC: Above and Beyond Care incurs charges on an hourly basis, and use will be billed at the end of each quarter.
Online registration will be available starting Jan. 7 for Quarter 3 of the 2018-19 school year. Registration must be completed by Jan. 7. Late registrations will incur a fee.